Controller of Personal Information
What do we mean by personal information?
Personal information means details that could identify you or could be used to identify you, such as name and contact details, and information required for HMRC.
When does this policy apply?
How can you keep your personal information secure?
We take great care to protect the personal information you provide us.
Be aware of and protect yourself against internet fraud and 'Phishing'
There is an internet fraud practice known as 'Phishing' which is the illegal gathering of personal information by deception. Unsolicited emails are sent to individuals from lists illegally gathered by a third party, and recipients are asked to enter or reconfirm bank or password details into a 'cloned' or illegal copy website.
What types of personal information do we collect and retain?
When you are an employee we need to retain information in order to process wage payments, personal pensions, to provide information to or submissions to HMRC. To provide information to or submissions to CITB.
When you are a client sub/sun-contractor we hold information to be able to hold information to be able to pay/send invoices or send receive enquiries for tenders.
When and why do we collect 'sensitive personal data'?
Certain categories of personal information, such as that about race, ethnicity, religion, health, sexuality or biometric information are special categories of data requiring additional protection under European Union and UK data protection law and is referred to here as "sensitive personal data". Generally, we do not collect and process sensitive personal data.
The main purposes for which we would use your personal information for are:-
- for management and administration purposes (payroll and taxation)
When will we send you marketing?
We do not send marketing information to our clients or employees.
What is our legal basis for using your personal information?
A & N Lewis will only process your information where we have legal basis to do so. The legal basis will depend on the reason or reasons A & N Lewis Ltd collected and need to use your information. Under EU and UK data protection laws in almost all cases the legal basis will be:-
- Because it is in A & N Ltd's legitimate interests as a Contractor to use your personal information to operate and carry out our business.
- Because A & N Lewis Ltd needs to use your personal information to comply with a legal obligation.
- To protect vital interests of you or another person.
- because you have consented to A & N Lewis Ltd using your information for a particular purpose.
More information on each legal basis is provided below.
If processing of your data is subject to any other laws then the basis of processing your data may be different to the rest set out above and may in those circumstances be based on your consent in all cases.
How long will we keep your personal information?
We will keep your information for as long as we need it for the purpose it is being processed for. For example, where you are an employee we will keep the information for as long as you are employed and for as long as required bu HMRC. We will actively review the information we hold and delete it securely, or in some case anonymise it, when there is no longer a legal, business need for it to be retained.
Performance of a contract with you
It will be necessary for A & N Lewis Ltd to use your personal information to process an order you have placed with us. For example, we will need to use your information such as your contact details and payment information provide you with the material/works you have requested and paid for.
As a building contractor and specialist contractor, A & N Lewis Ltd has a legitimate business interest to use the personal information we collect to offer an effective service and carry out our business.
Compliance with legal obligations
There are situations where A & N Lewis ltd is subject to legal obligations and need to use your personal information to comply with these obligations.
To protect the vital interests of you or another person
There are situations where we may need to use your personal information to protect the vital interests of you or another person.
We collect and use your personal information where you have given your specific consent to us doing so. If the basis of our processing your data is consent, you can withdraw your consent to such processing at any time. However, if you withdraw this consent, in some circumstances, it may mean we will not be able to provide all or parts of service you have requested from us.
Who do we share your personal information with?
Your personal information may be shared with other companies in our group. We may also disclose your personal information to the following third parties for the purpose described here:-
- Customs and immigration authorities.
- In response to a valid, legal request from the Government and law enforcement agencies such as customs and immigration authorities.
- Third parties, such as law firms and law courts, to enforce or apply any contract with you.
- Third parties, such as police and regulatory authorities, to protect our rights, property, or the safety our customers, staff and assets.
- If necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation in a any jurisdiction, including where the obligation arises because of a voluntary act or decision by us (e.g our decision to operate to a country or a related decision).
- We do not sell or pass on free of charge personal information to third parties or marketing companies,
Requesting your personal information
Under the GDPR, you may request a copy of any personal data about you held by A & N Lewis Ltd. There is no fee for this request. The request must be in writing and must contain the following:-
- Your name and postal address.
- Details of the request.
- Any details that may help us locate the information which is the subject of your request, for example:- your purchase order, our sale invoice number to you, your sales order invoice to us.
Please send your request to:-
Data Protection Manager
A & N Lewis Ltd
Unit 8 Ely Bridge Industrial Estate